This stone adze would have been attached to a wooden haft so that it could be used to carve large pieces of wood, such as canoes and house timbers.
This small stone adze would have been attached to a wooden haft so that it could be used in wood carving.
A stone adze head that would have been bound to a wooden haft for the purpose of carving.
Made from basalt (manutea), this hogback adze (toki) is common to eastern Polynesia and would have been used to fell tress and carve canoes.
It is said that adze stones (emoa) were acquired from the sea bottom.
Highly skilled carvers effectively used stone adzes (toki) to build large canoes and other sculptures.
Wood carvers were of noble birth and experts who were in great demand often travelling widely to build canoes, stores and meeting houses.
“He iti te toki e rite ana ki te tangata.
“Ahakoa he iti he pounamu” is a Maori proverb (whakatauki) which means “although it is small it is precious.
This is the cord from a German parachute mine dropped on St Loyes Estate, Exeter, on 28th November 1940.
TTNCM : 178/2009
This replica of the Alfred jewel was made by Payne and Sons of Oxford for the Millenium celebrations of King Alfred in 1901.
This Anderson shelter was used in Woodville Road, St Thomas, Exeter during the Second World War.
Diatoms on a microscope slide from the collection of WB Carpenter, prepared by WA Firth.
A freeze-dried toad.
Common frog freeze dried and varnished.
This frog has been dissected and preserved in spirit.
This frog has been preserved in spirit and suspended by a loop of monofilament.
This tiny tree frog has been suspended in alcohol using a loop of thread.
This African reed frog was collected on the west coast of Africa.
This is the handle from an ‘amphora’ storage jar.
This is the most complete amphora discovered from Roman Exeter.
The writing stamped onto this handle reads ‘Q.
This is part of a large storage vessel called an ‘amphora’ used for transporting olive oil into Roman Exeter from Spain.
This Roman amphora was used for transporting olive oil to the Roman fortress in Exeter.
This fragment of Roman amphora (shown on the left in the photograph) was used for transporting olive oil to the Roman fortress in Exeter.
This fragment of was part of an amphora used to import wine to the soldiers in the Roman fortress.
This is the handle from a Greek amphora storage jar.
This is an oinochoe, or jug, with a flat base, tall vertical handle and round splayed lip.