St John’s Hospital School

St John’s Hospital School was founded by Gilbert and John Long in 1238. Located on Exeter High Street, it was originally, a religious foundation which house five priests, six singing boys and twelve of Exeter’s poorest inhabitants. Following the Reformation in the 1530s, the hospital was closed and the buildings put to other uses, eventually becoming the Exeter Grammar School in the 17th century. The building was demolished in 1880.

Object Summary

Accession Loan No.
111/1998/8
Collection Class
Prints
Medium
engraving on paper
Common Name
St John’s Hospital School
Simple Name
print
Inscription Transcription
St John’s Hospital school demolished 1860. Drawn from memory December 1891 by John Agar who was educated at this school from 1848-1853. The dry playground and boiler house, the window of which is represented underneath the stairs will doubtless be remebered by many “Old Boys”.
Period Classification
Victorian (1837-1901)
Production Town
Exeter
Production County
Devon
Production Country
England
Production Date
12/1891
Production Person Initials
John
Production Person Surname
Agar
Production Year Low

Production Year High


View Full Details

St John’s Hospital school