Turf Entrance to Exeter Canal, 1829

In 1676 the Exeter canal was extended to Topsham. The last extension to Turf Lock opened in 1827. An amateur artist, Captain Tobin was a friend and sketching companion of the marine painter, Thomas Luny. Like Luny, Tobin retired to Teignmouth after a career in the Navy.

Object Summary

Accession Loan No.
Fine Art
Collection Class
watercolour on paper
Common Name
Turf Entrance to Exeter Canal, 1829
Simple Name
Inscription Transcription
1. Turf. This spot untill (sic) 1828 was part of Exminster Marsh it is now known as the point of Junction of the Exeter Canal with the Estuary of the River Exe & by means of which vesells (sic) of 200 tons burden ascend to Exeter Quay. The House was built cheifly (sic) for the accomodation of the Navigators employed in hauling the different Crafts up the Canals. The Tower to the right is the Belvidere (sic) in Powederham Park belong to Lord Courteney Powderham point forms the termination of the land to the right of the sketch. the (sic) extreme point ot the left is Exmouth. Sketched May 1829
Period Classification
George IV (1820-1830)
Production Town
Production County
Production Country
United Kingdom: England
Production Date
Production Person Initials
Production Person Surname
Production Year Low

Production Year High

View Full Details

Turf Entrance to Exeter Canal, 1829