The Church of St Mary Steps, Exeter

The church of St Mary Steps was near the old West Gate, but was dismantled and moved to the bottom of Stepcote Hill. The first church dated from about 1150 but was rebuilt in the 1400s. Original figures from the Matthew the Miller clock, in the niche at the foot of the tower, are now on display at RAMM.

Sidney Endacott’s (1873-1918) father encouraged him to develop his talent for drawing and wood carving. At the age of 20, after being educated at Ashburton Grammar School and Blundells School in Tiverton, Sidney joined his two brothers in Lawrence, Kansas. Here General Roberts commissioned Sidney to create wood carvings his new mansion called the Castle. After this Sidney returned to England and took up employment with J Wippell and Company in Exeter as a carver and stained glass artist. The London Art Journal wrote the he was ‘one of the four best watercolour artists in England and perhaps the best sculptor of life-sized crucifixes of the 19th Century’.

Sidney suffered from ill health from a early age, osteomyelitis brought on by two serious falls, which impacted on his ability to work. By his mid 30s large works were beyond his capabilities and he turned to smaller sketches. Worth's Gallery commissioned him to produce 19 series of paintings which were reproduced as postcards for the growing tourist trade.

Object Summary

Accession Loan No.
478/1977/14
Collection Class
Drawings
Medium
watercolour on paper
Common Name
The Church of St Mary Steps, Exeter
Simple Name
drawing
Inscription Transcription
; ; Worth’s Art GAllery, Cathedral Close Exeter
Period Classification
Edwardian (1901-1914)
Production Town
Exeter
Production County
Devon
Production Country
England
Production Person Initials
Sidney
Production Person Surname
Endacott
Production Year Low
1910
Production Year High
1911

View Full Details

The Church of St Mary Steps, Exeter