Magic Lantern Slide: Old parish registers damaged by damp, etc.
This magic lantern slide by William Weaver Baker shows a collection of parish registers, the majority of which are in poor condition with torn covers and damaged pages. The title and topic of the slide suggests Baker was interested in preservation of historic objects, and this photograph is an early example of the topic of object conservation. Baker was very interested in Exeter’s historic buildings and objects and recorded many of these in his photographs, often working with the museum and the Cathedral. It is not known where these registers were stored, but is possible they were part of Exeter Cathedral’s library.
- Accession Loan No.
- Collection Class
- Social and industrial history
- glasspaperphotographic emulsion
- Common Name
- Magic Lantern Slide: Old parish registers damaged by damp, etc.
- Simple Name
- Inscription Transcription
- handwritten 'OLD PARISH REGISTERS' on top edge; handwritten 'Old Parish Registers damaged by damp. +c.' on mount
- Period Classification
- Edwardian (1901-1914); World War I (1914-1918); Inter War (1918-1939)
- Production Country
- United Kingdom
- Production Person Initials
- W. Weaver
- Production Person Surname